The 2019 wedding season will soon be in full swing, with happy couples celebrating with friends and family, food and wine – and live entertainment. So, we’ve been looking at the hottest and coolest trends for wedding entertainment this summer, and looking ahead to the emerging winter weddings trends too.
Hottest entertainment trends for summer weddings 2019
If there’s one overarching trend for weddings in 2019 it’s – do your own thing! Inspired by Harry and Megan’s wedding last year (not to mention their unorthodox way of announcing the birth of their baby boy this week), couples are increasingly taking the wedding rule book and turning it on its head.
Quick caveat: wedding rules that can’t change
- If you’re having a church wedding, your music/performance choices must be cleared with your clergy beforehand. Music can be non-religious.
- A civil wedding / same sex wedding held in a registry office or wedding venue must NOT contain any religious music. Your Registrar will need to check your musical choices beforehand.
- For wedding ceremonies with a celebrant, (separate from the legal signing part), the world’s your musical oyster!
Making an entrance
Brides just wanna have fun, so why not start as you mean to go on! Whoever gets to walk down the church or wedding venue aisle (which increasing is both parties!) can announce their arrival in style with a trumpet fanfare, a burst of song from a gospel choir, dohl drummers, or even a bespoke flashmob of dancers!
Entertainment that matches your wedding theme
Themed weddings are a way to make your wedding stand out from the others your friends will attend in 2019. Rustic weddings are still on-trend, probably due to the wonderful barn conversions and other countryside venues available for weddings across the UK.
So, choose music that fits with that homely and less commercial feel, from acoustic bands for the drinks reception to good ol’ cover bands playing classics. Look too at clever bands that reinvent the hits of today in the style of yesterday, for a retro twist that everyone can enjoy.
When life gives you a barn…
Why not have a barn dance? Whether you opt for traditional Scottish dancing with caller or a classic ceilidh with a cutting edge Celtic sound, we’ve got the bands to make it all happen. https://www.mattersmusical.com/genre/irish-celtic-ceilidh-barndance/
Give your guests a special experience
Not so much a short-term trend as an ongoing shift towards including guests in an immersive experience from start to finish. Just joining in the dancing at the wedding party isn’t enough anymore. Savvy wedding couples are providing opportunities to really be part of the day, from live karaoke bands to the chance to learn a new skill, such as African drumming or sand painting.
The emphasis is on fun for everyone, regardless of age, so you’re just as likely to find grandma at the circus skills session as the grandkids! It’s also a way of giving back to guests who may have spent £100s just to be with you on your special day. Let them know you really appreciate it.
Celebrity weddings: a touch of stardust
There’s only one thing that sets a trend faster than a celebrity wedding – and that’s a royal wedding! So it’s little wonder that the Meghan effect is rippling through 2019 wedding trends, from gospel choirs and string soloists in the church, to changing dresses between church to reception.
Other Royal ideas that anyone can emulate include:
- an impromptu dance-off between the couple’s parents (although not everyone will have comedian James Corden to kick it off!)
- late-night nibbles and burgers made from locally sourced produce
- candy floss and custom-created cocktails served from stalls on the lawn
- making sure your beloved pooch takes part in the party (although again you might not have the reigning monarch on hand to give it a lift in a Land Rover..)
- drinking games including beer pong
- comfy slippers for those whose high heels are proving too much after 6+hrs
- delaying the honeymoon so you can enjoy the fun until late and chill out afterwards
The internet of everywhere
That spirit of inclusivity now reaches out beyond those actually at the wedding to those beyond, with live Instagram feeds, animated GIF sharing, Whatsapp sharing groups and more. So, give your guests something worthwhile to share with unusual, unique and memorable entertainment that goes beyond the expected. Take a look at our Miscellaneous Acts for some inspiration, including our kooky Clockwork Crooner…
The post-party chill-out
Just as athletes need to ‘warm down’ after competing, your wedding guests can enjoy a ‘wedding wind-down’ before heading home at the end of your very special day! Think chill-out lounge music, gentle acoustic guitar or strings, and perhaps beanbags laid on the lawn for a communal session of star-gazing.
Need a little help with planning wedding entertainment?
No problem – just give us a call. We’ll chat through your ideas, your theme and your venue, and put together a bespoke package of entertainment for you to choose from. So that’s another thing you can tick of the wedding “to do’ list!